Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Sloppy Joe's - also known in central PA as Hamburger Barbecue

It took me a while to get used to people in Pennsylvania calling this dish "barbecue". I grew up in eastern NC, which has its very own unique style of barbecue. Having lived in Arizona, I knew there were varying definitions of barbecue. But, it still took some getting used to, nonetheless.

I got this great recipe from my sweet friend Nancy!

1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, diced

3/4 c. ketchup
2 T. sugar
2 t. Worcestershire
1 T. apple cider vinegar
1 t. prepared mustard

Brown ground beef with the onion, drain fat. Mix together sauce ingredients and bring to a simmer. Add ground beef mixture and heat through.

I like to put it in a crock pot and let it continue to simmer for a while.

To make as a freezer meal, you can do a variety of things: package 1 lb. raw ground beef in a ziploc and label it as "sloppy joe meat"; brown ground beef with onion, drain and cool, then package in ziploc and label; prepare the recipe as stated, let cool, and package in ziploc.

No comments:

Post a Comment